You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Technical Section > 7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion

7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion Technical info, repair and non performance related discussion for the 7.3L Power Stroke engine here.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:47 PM

Default Brake Caliper Sticking

Ok, I tried to search the forum and got 0 matches, so here it is... back from my long trip and noticed a high pitched squeaking coming from the Driver Side Front Wheel. also noticed that when I did not have the throttle engaged the truck would stop faster than the normal engine braking allows. I assume I have a stuck caliper which really irks me b/c I just replaced both of the fronts during the last brake change due to leaking seals . I bought them from Auto Zone and have a lifetime warranty on them. Is this something normal on our trucks? any advise would be appreciated. I have not looked into the brake pads and rotors ( also brand new) to see their condition but I assuming they are probably shot.
Thanks,
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM

One or both are sticking. I'd take the whole shebang back. You'll have to do both sides again anyway. Calipers, rotors and pads.
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab AC injectors and pushrods from Farmer's Diesel and Performance, Terminator Engineering T500, Strictly / Driven Diesel top end / Beans pump and filters for EFS, DP-Tuner F6 chip, Diamond Eye 4" exhaust, S@B intake, stock rebuilt turbo / 1.0 housing / Banks wheel from Ron's Turbo, and allot of stuff from Riff Raff Diesel.
1986 F250 6.9 XLT Gone but not forgotten

And his hair was perfect. Ahhwooooo...
Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Bummer!!!
Are there any tips/tricks to stop them from sticking?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Molly lube in a high temp application on the slides and that should do. You might try that at first to see if its just not properly lubricated. the other thing that happens is the seal on the new caliper may be bad and not returning properly or its just in the right spot and is not pulling back the piston.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
PNWFDE--East Side Chapter

LOTS of lube on those slide pins are key. did u replace them when u did the brakes?
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
Casserly 250cc Hybrid Injectors
BTS
AirDog II w/Reg. Return fuel bowl delete
291 hp 585 tq, Stock injectors/DPTuning
Dynoed 583hp 29 Sept 12
685hp 19 May on PMT1_Fuel 707 Tune by Tyrant!

13.22 sec in 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.
PNWFDE#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota View Post
Greg's truck backfires more HorsePower than yours makes!
9/25/09 RIP Muley, you will be missed!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM

Mike you'll have to take a look to see what happened. Maybe you can free up the caliper and get away with new pads on both sides. But if the rotor is toast on the one side You'll have to do both. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab AC injectors and pushrods from Farmer's Diesel and Performance, Terminator Engineering T500, Strictly / Driven Diesel top end / Beans pump and filters for EFS, DP-Tuner F6 chip, Diamond Eye 4" exhaust, S@B intake, stock rebuilt turbo / 1.0 housing / Banks wheel from Ron's Turbo, and allot of stuff from Riff Raff Diesel.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwoolw View Post
Mike you'll have to take a look to see what happened. Maybe you can free up the caliper and get away with new pads on both sides. But if the rotor is toast on the one side You'll have to do both. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Why replace both sides if only one side is bad? It does sounds like they both are sticking if you are not getting any pulling from one side or the other.
AFE Big Boost
FASS Fuel
D60 Swap
South Bend CON-O clutch
T.E Modded 17* HPOP.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Like everyone else said, lots and lots of lube. Every time my tires come off for a rotation I check each caliper to make sure the pads are wearing evenly. If they aren't I know its time to pull them apart and clean up the slide pins.

1999 F-250 XLT Crew Cab Short Box

4X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Born On: 2-15-99

Specs:
Tranny by JW, DP Tuner F5, ITP RR, Terminated, Walbro 392, 6637 Intake, On-Board Air, Full Kicker System, Kenwood Touchscreen DVD, Python 990, Much More To Come.....

Sponsored By: Terminator Engineering, Magic Smoke Performance, Riffraff Diesel Performance

"ALLGAVESOME, SOMEGAVEALL"
Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattz View Post
Why replace both sides if only one side is bad? It does sounds like they both are sticking if you are not getting any pulling from one side or the other.
Because its not safe to do so. Brakes are a rather important item that one should not take risks with.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
5 speed Junkie

True, id rather get the same amount of life out of both of the pads but rotors wear just like brake pads too so hopefully the rotor thickness isnt too different. Id take it back and ask them if their warranty for their brake caliper covers the cost of it heat scorching your rotor and ruining it.