You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Technical Section > 7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion

7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion Technical info, repair and non performance related discussion for the 7.3L Power Stroke engine here.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Oil from boots - even after CCV mod

My truck seemed to be prone to lots of oil coming from the intake boots. I installed the dieselsite boots as many said that would solve the problem - it did not. So then I did the CCV mod and that seems to have helped, but I still have oil coming from the intake boots around the spider and dripping into the valley.

The clamps are tight - but even assume they are not tight - where is the oil coming from?

I did CCV mod like NCHORNET's mod. Basically doghouse flipped, hose down to PVC catch can with scrubbers inside, then back to the doghouse. The catch can collects a decent amount of oil - maybe 1/2 a cup every 3k??? I never really measured it, just guesstimating.

I did the CCV mod a few years ago, so it is no longer residual oil. I initially had residual oil, which I cleaned out from all the boots and thought I was done with this oil. But it seems to have come back (or maybe never stopped).

Is there any place else from where oil can be introduced into the boots? Someone suggested a turbo problem. Can oil get into the boots from the turbo? Any way to check that?

I can't believe the oil is making it through the catch can and back to the dog house? Unless it is such a fine mist/vapor?????

What else can I do, I am tired of this mess in the engine/valley.

Should I vent the catch can and not route it back to the dog house? It seems some folks say yes and some say no?

Thanks
1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100, 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Pos. chip, AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipes, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Sponsor

Id try just dumping the ccv out the bottom of the motor instead of coming back and if that doesn't fix it my guess would be a seal in the turbo has gone bad.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Which boots are leaking? Pre-intercooler or post-intercooler? Just wondering if your intercooler still has oil in it from pre-ccv.

I would also disconnect the catch can in the CCV and have it dump out that back of the motor. It does sound like the seals in the turbo. I think that can occur when your ccv is plugged up...
2001 F350 14" One Up Offroad 500 Series, Dynatrac Pro Steer Ball Joints, SPYNTEC Conversion, 20" Weld Cheyennes with 38" x 15.5" Toyo M/t's, GTP38R, Hybrids, ARP Headstuds, 910 Valve Springs, Spearco, Water Injection, TERMINATED, AMP steps, Heat Extractor Hood, custom paint, 6.0 Trans cooler and BTS.
More Truck Pics

Iraq War Heroes Tribute Page
Old 01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Sponsor

So how do you have this set up. It'snot real clear. So you have it gome from the CCV block on the valve cover (assume this is what you are calling the "doghouse") down to a catch can then back up to the CCV block? Does it go into intake as it does stock? Or does it just go back to the CCV block on the valve cover?

The system NEEDs to be vented somehow so if it just goes from the block to the catch can and back to the block then that's not really venting. If it does in deed go back to the intake then that is going to let it vent but yes you will still get some vapor getting into the intake and that is most likely where your oil is coming from.

If you don't want it dripping on the ground much then run it into the catch can then dump the return line under the truck somewhere and plug off the port going into the intake all together. Problem solved.

On mine I just got the steel pipe that's on the OTR trucks and dumped it under the truck. Only thing I don't like about it is it dumps it right on top of the front driveline. So I'm going to put a hose on it to route it down to the frame rail where it won't drip on anything. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Chip Live Tuned from Power Hungry Performance
Transmission/Billet Flex Plate BTS
12.683@105.65 in 1/4 mi!
466hp #2 only 805hp NČO
Sponsored by Nitrous Outlet
GTS Motorsports
gtsmotorsport@yahoo.com www.doitrightinjection.com
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Sorry if I wa unclear. It goes from valve cover to a catch can under the truck, then back up to the stock location (intake). I guess the idea is that the "oil" is caught in the catch can and nothing returns to the intake system. I find it hard to believe that the oil can make its way back to the intake....but I suppose if it is vapors then its possible...then it turns to "oil" once back in the intake???

I will have to check which boots specifically its on - but the oil seems to be dripping into the valley.

Can a bad seal in the turbo cause oil to get into the intake boots?
1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100, 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Pos. chip, AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipes, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM

I think Ken had a similar issue. His CCV was plugged which I think blew the seal on the exhaust side of the turbo, then oil out the exhaust.

Check all your CCV tubing and make sure it is clear.
2001 F350 14" One Up Offroad 500 Series, Dynatrac Pro Steer Ball Joints, SPYNTEC Conversion, 20" Weld Cheyennes with 38" x 15.5" Toyo M/t's, GTP38R, Hybrids, ARP Headstuds, 910 Valve Springs, Spearco, Water Injection, TERMINATED, AMP steps, Heat Extractor Hood, custom paint, 6.0 Trans cooler and BTS.
More Truck Pics

Iraq War Heroes Tribute Page
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM

i will double check my ccv - but I am pretty sure it isnt plugged.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Sponsor

From what I've seen when a turbo seal goes from a plugged CCV it usually pushes oil out the exhaust side. But anything is possible.

The oil will be in a vapor form going up into the intake. It's very possible once compressed it condenses back into oil as higher pressure lowers the boiling point of liquids returning them to a liquid from a vapor. I'd try dumping it under the truck for awhile and see what happens. I would imagine the catch can would catch most of it, and it sounds like you said it has reduced in volume, but it will always pull some.
Chip Live Tuned from Power Hungry Performance
Transmission/Billet Flex Plate BTS
12.683@105.65 in 1/4 mi!
466hp #2 only 805hp NČO
Sponsored by Nitrous Outlet
GTS Motorsports
gtsmotorsport@yahoo.com www.doitrightinjection.com
Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I have never lost a sock

Didn't you have a High pressure oil pump problem a few months ago?

Does your engine have excessive blow-by or rather excessive crankcase pressure?
If your having DODGE problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and a CUMMINS ain't 1 !

If I disagree with you, it is because you are wrong.
Michael
Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 AM
PNWFDE--East Side Chapter

Mine was plugged because i had a dip in it and i didnt run it over the master cylinder, which caused the oil to push past the turbo seal. I noticed it right away, rerouted it, and i havent had aproblem since. I do drip some oil from my CCV hose on the driveway, but it isnt bad
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
Casserly 250cc Hybrid Injectors
BTS
AirDog II w/Reg. Return fuel bowl delete
291 hp 585 tq, Stock injectors/DPTuning
Dynoed 583hp 29 Sept 12
685hp 19 May on PMT1_Fuel 707 Tune by Tyrant!

13.22 sec in 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.
PNWFDE#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota View Post
Greg's truck backfires more HorsePower than yours makes!
9/25/09 RIP Muley, you will be missed!