You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Technical Section > 6.0L Powerstroke Technical Discussion

6.0L Powerstroke Technical Discussion Technical info, repair and non performance related discussion for the 6.0L Power Stroke engine here.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Thumbs down 6.0 F250 Rough Running

Sorry for the long post but here is goes:

1. Cold starts are terrible. Truck idles very rough and sounds as though a cylinder or two are not firing every revolution. (When it is really cold, there is some white smoke associated with starting but this isn't the norm)

2. Let it warm up for 10 -15 minutes and still idles rough. When taking off initially there is no power. Once it warms up then I don't have this problem. No smoke.

3. While driving--when i punch it i can tell that all cylinders are not firing all of the time as there is a surge and then a lag and then a surge.

4. While driving in overdrive--truck will act as if it is missing when going up a hill or accelerating gently. When it downshifts this symptom goes away.

5. Fuel Filters were changed 8k ago.

6. NO check engine light is on.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Adminotaur

Plugged EGR or bad injectors...

I would have a contribution test ran on the injectors to see how healthy they are and go from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub
... Works great, but loud as hell. I don't mind though, the whistle sounds cool. Helps scare away the dodges
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM

Took off EGR valve and had some deposits on it. Cleaned it really well and put it back on. Truck started easier but still have a vibration at about 2000 rpms. When driving still have a miss in overdrive. Better but not fixed.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM

would replacing the cam sensor help?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Monty's Automotive Inc.

The cam sensor will normally set a code when bad.How is your coolant Level?My 1st thought would be possible head gasket starting leak.When the block is cold the coolant weeps past the head gasket.When it warms up the metal expands and helps seal the weep or small leak in the head gasket.

www.montysautomotive.net
Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Its likely your injectors are sticking. This is what I use to prevent this from happening. This along with a good synthetic oil will help you out down the road. Depending on how far gone the injectors are it may or may not help. Also run a good fuel additive to lubricate and clean the fuel side of the injectors. Ash less two stroke oil is also a good additive. Go to 3k oil changes for awhile. 5k max. Worst case is you'll need to replace the injectors.
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab AC injectors and pushrods from Farmer's Diesel and Performance, Terminator Engineering T500, Strictly / Driven Diesel top end / Beans pump and filters for EFS, DP-Tuner F6 chip, Diamond Eye 4" exhaust, S@B intake, stock rebuilt turbo / 1.0 housing / Banks wheel from Ron's Turbo, and allot of stuff from Riff Raff Diesel.
1986 F250 6.9 XLT Gone but not forgotten

And his hair was perfect. Ahhwooooo...
Old 01-15-2010, 01:42 PM

I haven't noticed any coolant loss. The problem seems to be getting worse on initial start up. The truck just won't go until it heats up about 10 minutes or so. Has a very difficult time shifting as well when it is sputtering and lugging for the first 10 minutes of a drive.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:59 PM
PNWFDE--East Side Chapter

When u cleaned the EGR, did you work it back and forth to make sure the spring is working properly. There is more to it than just cleaning it
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
Casserly 250cc Hybrid Injectors
BTS
AirDog II w/Reg. Return fuel bowl delete
291 hp 585 tq, Stock injectors/DPTuning
Dynoed 583hp 29 Sept 12
685hp 19 May on PMT1_Fuel 707 Tune by Tyrant!

13.22 sec in 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.
PNWFDE#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota View Post
Greg's truck backfires more HorsePower than yours makes!
9/25/09 RIP Muley, you will be missed!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator

bad injector or 2 get a scanner and clear all the codes after you write them down. Now drive the truck for 10 miles re check codes il bet you 100 bucks you have at least a code for cylinder contribution which means that injector is bad. recheck another time or 2 and the same cylinder keeps coming up theres your injector. NOW if you recheck and it keeps coming up with a different cylinder your FICM maybe bad check the votage it should be 48 volts and check the voltage anyway to see that.

Trust me I just worked on another 6.0L yesterday my 2nd in 3 weeks yesterdays had 4 bad injecotrs and smae symsoms.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 PM

what diesel dawg said check you egr
6637 intake.
php tune.

soon to come.
250/100s . dual SD pumps. terminator oil. h11 studs, 910 springs push rods g40r. 5 inch exh my own tunes.
[ford7.3] 12:51 am: id buy a book on fourwheeling from ken before i bought from either of them.