You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Technical Section > 7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion

7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion Technical info, repair and non performance related discussion for the 7.3L Power Stroke engine here.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Fueled By Haters

Default 7.3 keeps dying

Hello every one.
On the 01 X this morning I go out earlie to start it to let it warm up start it and walk away come back 2 min later and its off??? I am like WTF? So I start it again and it run then it just dies. So right now my glow plug relay is unpluged so I am thinking that it just two cold for it so I start it again and put the Dp on high idle and let it sit there but every few second it stumbles then comes back up then did this for about 10 min straight then it time to go get in and start driving all fine till I get into it and then it stubles or dies for a second then some back did this for about a mile then turned around and when home. Didn't want this thing to die on me. Go home get the 6.0 and go. So any Idea's on why it's cutting out? CPS was replaed about 2,000 miles ago. Any idea's would be great,
Thanks
Nick
Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Douched by Mike!

check the CPS. swap it out. they can go bad quickly or right out of the box.

then i'd start checking all the HPO stuff...clean the IPR, check for HPO codes.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:59 AM
BABY MEMBER

ummm if it was anything related to hpo stuff it wouldnt run at all... because if you dont have that no injection at all... but Your fuel pump might be going out. Or if you still have the fuel filter and havent changed it in a while it might be clogged up. but yeah had same problem on a 00 fuel pump was weak and only put out about 45 psi before startup and soon as you started it it dropped down to 25 which is clearly not enough at all but it would do the same thing it would prime before start and ran it for a little bit then die. and if you drove it, it would run but like S#!t. So I would say check your fuel pressure.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 PM
TERMINATOR TEST PILOT

[quote=Jman09890;38641]ummm if it was anything related to hpo stuff it wouldnt run at all... Jman this is untrue a loose ipr solinoid can do that also a sticking ipr and lastly leaking ipr orings all hpo stuff that can cause stalling. now that said nick i would look into fuel psi and ipr and cps.
i will be down on monday with my AutoE and somethin special for your turbo.
Precision 71MM BB, TERMINATOR,
RACER X,FARMERIZED D CODES,
ITP, ARP everywhere,1/4 fill, DP-TUNER
CRYO'ED valve covers
New tow rig 96 CCLB DRW. DP,Autometer,MSP,Hybrid TP-38,SBC con OFE, TERMINATOR
2003 CCLB DRW Farmerized, DP-Tuned, More to come
WWW.MAGICSMOKEPERFORMANCE.COM

R.I.P muley we miss you
Magic Smoke Performance is a Proud sponsor of Ford Diesel Power!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Sponsor

I'd agree with slack on this one. Double check or swap out the CPS. Sounds like classic CPS issues. Is the one you have a black one or a gray one?

Also if it was a fuel issue it would continue to run rough not just sputter every now and then. It will actually run for quite a bit with no fuel pressue as the injectors will draw a little fuel in on their own. Typically it'll start running real rough and stay that way until the fuel pressure comes back up.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:36 PM

[quote=CAMOJEEPER;38642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman09890 View Post
ummm if it was anything related to hpo stuff it wouldnt run at all... Jman this is untrue a loose ipr solinoid can do that also a sticking ipr and lastly leaking ipr orings all hpo stuff that can cause stalling. now that said nick i would look into fuel psi and ipr and cps.
i will be down on monday with my AutoE and somethin special for your turbo.
Yeah just peak down there and make sure that little nut is on the end of the IPR and it isn't loose. Seen that happen before...
2001 F350 14" One Up Offroad 500 Series, Dynatrac Pro Steer Ball Joints, SPYNTEC Conversion, 20" Weld Cheyennes with 38" x 15.5" Toyo M/t's, GTP38R, Hybrids, ARP Headstuds, 910 Valve Springs, Spearco, Water Injection, TERMINATED, AMP steps, Heat Extractor Hood, custom paint, 6.0 Trans cooler and BTS.
More Truck Pics

Iraq War Heroes Tribute Page
Old 11-13-2009, 02:40 PM
TERMINATOR TEST PILOT

had that happen before damn little nut i was launching the boat and couldnt get the truck or trailer back out of the launch embarassing for sure
Precision 71MM BB, TERMINATOR,
RACER X,FARMERIZED D CODES,
ITP, ARP everywhere,1/4 fill, DP-TUNER
CRYO'ED valve covers
New tow rig 96 CCLB DRW. DP,Autometer,MSP,Hybrid TP-38,SBC con OFE, TERMINATOR
2003 CCLB DRW Farmerized, DP-Tuned, More to come
WWW.MAGICSMOKEPERFORMANCE.COM

R.I.P muley we miss you
Magic Smoke Performance is a Proud sponsor of Ford Diesel Power!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Sponsor

I say CPS. Wait for Steve and check your codes.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 PM

mine does the same thing but only when its cold, on mine once it dies it takes alot of cranking to get it to fire again. but once you get it warmed up a little it runs great.
{95 F250 Powerstroke XLT} 5 spd with Haisley machine street drag clutch, injectors by Farmers Diesel, tunes by tyrant diesel, S467 with Irate diesel T4 mount, TE Dual pumps, AFE stage 2 intake, custom intercooler, Custom 4" duals, Irate diesel electric fuel, D60.

448hp/861tq 05/19/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
I have Master's degree and I'm still dumber than fawk.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 PM

i had a similar problem couple of weeks ago, had been having trouble with my glow plug relay so i did a little hill billy fix and waited till next morning to try a true cold start, started great but died two minutes later and would not restart at all, no fire at all, after a week of messin around with it i finally have it towed and turns out my DP burned out my PCM. which had been causing the glow plug problems, plus various other things so its hard telling how long the chip had been damaging my PCM, plus the guy at the shop said hes seen about 20 trucks with this same problem.....