You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Technical Section > 7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion

7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion Technical info, repair and non performance related discussion for the 7.3L Power Stroke engine here.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM
HIGH MAINTENANCE!

Default Low Boost

I FINALLY got gauges put in my truck today. I've known I had a pretty big loss of power but no one believed me. FINALLY, a person who know's these trucks drove it today!!!
Well, said to check the wastegate & told me what to tell u. The turbo is NOT spooling!!!!
He says I have 15 boost at full throttle & under 5 at 1/2 throttle!!! What should I be checking next?
THere are other things I found recently that he confirmed, but I need to deal with this 1st.

Thanks in advance.
Laurie
Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 PM

The most likely cuase of low boost is exhaust leaks. Check at the up-pipes, the donuts at the collector are probably leaking.

Checking your fuel filter and air filter are another good place to start. While you are checking your air filter pull the boot off at the turbo and check to see if the wheel is in good shape and the shaft is reasonably tight.

What year truck and what mods are done to it?
TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand, Stinger+, TN turbo and stickers and Chrome curb Feelers.

248.9HP 4ft/lbs @ 3,400 RPM (don't forget to divide by 1,002 and carry the 5).

Gale Banks is my hero!

Nothing worse than a good idea that doesn't work.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator

boost leaks check all your IC piping boots including the manifold boots from the Y to the engine. and your up pipes could and probly are leaking bad too.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

Stock truck? 15 psi at WFO is a tad low but not too terrible. My truck, which is stock but can pull 25 psi WOT only pulls 3-4 lbs at highway speed cruising. You can build a simple boost leak detector to see if you're sealed up good or not (remember there are lots of places for potential leaks- make sure all the IC boot clamps are snug, check your up-pipes for signs of leaking).
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
HIGH MAINTENANCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69W900A View Post
The most likely cuase of low boost is exhaust leaks. Check at the up-pipes, the donuts at the collector are probably leaking.

Checking your fuel filter and air filter are another good place to start. While you are checking your air filter pull the boot off at the turbo and check to see if the wheel is in good shape and the shaft is reasonably tight.

What year truck and what mods are done to it?
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I didn't have the info on here.
Its a 99F250SD 7.3L PSD, Only mods are CCV mod & gauges & oh yeah, HIDs..(LOL) Fuel & air filter were done on 12/31.

Basically, I had a mechanic who I THREW $$$$ at "FIX IT"! Recently I realized when I ran out of $, when I went thru recepits, fuel filter had been there 4 YEARS!!!!! He's being sued. So, I have gone thru the truck w/the assist. of a neighbor who does 4x4's & he's & the forums have educated me. Little late I guess.
I told the mechanic there was a boost issue, but the truck does run well, Just NOT LIKE IT USED TOO!! When I jump on it, it would GO!!!! Now, the above happens!!
I have gone thru the boots no 'APPARENT' leaks, but I need to do a better check of the rear of it. (turbo that is). Recently, I was told to run injector cleaner thru it & I had a 'burp', pretty good loss of boost. I looked for a split or anything that would cause that. Nothing, but, my boots were trashed. They have been cleaned. Well, all except passenger side. It took awhile to get all the crap out of the motor, battery area, filter area etc. There was a K&N on it & its VERY possible my motor got dusted to a small extent.
I have spent 4 months LEARNING everything about this truck! Mind u, I am a female & did work on cars b4, but not my PSD!! I do now.
I'm looking to clean the EBP tube, but having a hard time finding it 'for sure'. Also, I was going to disconnect the EBPV sensor to see what happened, but need to know exactly where it is also.

This WHOLE truck thing did start with the attached pic. No one could figure it out & I got worried when I found it. I did all the re-wiring etc & its just gone from there.
ALSO NOTE: I went to FORD on 1-8-09 for CPS recall, then did a full inspection & ONLY found a small axle leak.!!! they have already been yelled at for their incompetance!!! I was complaining about a shifting issue, they replace the tranny, diff etc 6 years ago & it blew again in 1 year!! long story!
The truck has 175k miles & I have done all basic maint. oil etc all along.
[IMG][/IMG]

I thank u for responding at all. edit: I did find a crack in the exhaust at the rear & it got welded, that did make a diff in the way the truck sounded & responded, no other cracks etc noticed by me or the mechanic! He didn't notice that crack, so I check up on his work CONSTANTLY!! He's ok with it too....wheew
Laurie

Last edited by korg70kbc; 02-08-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: oh yeah
Old 02-08-2009, 12:40 AM
HIGH MAINTENANCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDuallyIL View Post
boost leaks check all your IC piping boots including the manifold boots from the Y to the engine. and your up pipes could and probly are leaking bad too.
the boots on the Y don't look that great. They look aftermarket once I got them cleaned, but they look cheap. all others look great.
Where are the up pipes exactly??? Back of turbo? I couldn't get the lift today, but should b able to Monday. Mechanics a bit worried now.

K&N=didn't fit & was not cleaned by my mechanic EVER! My bro cleaned it & used a WHOLE can of oil.....THANKFULLY!! WHy??? cuz it trapped the dirt B4 the turbo,.....MOSTLY!! The blade moves freely, but is slightly chewed....
Hope this helps u guys help me
Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM
HIGH MAINTENANCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Stock truck? 15 psi at WFO is a tad low but not too terrible. My truck, which is stock but can pull 25 psi WOT only pulls 3-4 lbs at highway speed cruising. You can build a simple boost leak detector to see if you're sealed up good or not (remember there are lots of places for potential leaks- make sure all the IC boot clamps are snug, check your up-pipes for signs of leaking).
It runs at 70mph at 5psi!!! & how do I do a leak test? Link? I'm purty smart for a girl & STUBBORN surprised??
Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 AM

I can get some pictures tomorrow to point out where stuff is, until then:

The EBPV sensor is mounted to the HPOP bolt cover. If you look at the water pump there is a tube directly in the center top of the pump where the heater hose connectors to. Directly behind the heater hose is a plate with two bolts and the EBPV sensor. The tube will be under the sensor and runs down along the passenger side head and wraps around to hook up to the front of the exhaust manifold.

If you still have the stock airbox I'd ditch it. The EARLY 99's had a better air box but none of them were very good. Either get a "DIY" style filter (NAPA 6637) or the AIS from Donaldson. Can you get a pic of the compressor wheel for us? The compressor wheel is the first thing to show signs of dust infiltration.
TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand, Stinger+, TN turbo and stickers and Chrome curb Feelers.

Gale Banks is my hero!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:47 AM

You pressurize the intake system with shop air and spray soapy water around all the connections. Use about 30-40 psi of shop air and put it into the turbo with a boot and a piece of PVC with an air chuck installed in it.

Gale Banks is my hero!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

The up-pipes are the pipes that go from the exhaust manifolds to the collector, aka baby's butt, which hooks to the turbo. Hopefully your motor isn't too trashed from the K&N, my truck had a K&N drop-in w/stock airbox when I bought it a year ago... dust in the tube but the turbo looks good and so far no problems. I run a 6637 filter now w/a neat pre-filter/cover from this guy.
5psi at 70 is a tad low but in the ball park, at least from my experience with my own truck.